Avis Terms & Conditions - Canada
The below T&Cs (including prices and taxes) are provided by Avis and may change without notice to VroomVroomVroom.ca. Rates below are in CAD.
This quote includes:
- All taxes, airport taxes and surcharges if applicable.
- Stated mileage amount (generally unlimited, see below for extra mileage charges).
- Vehicle Registration fee.
- One way fees if applicable.
- All vehicle fees related to the booking e.g. Vehicle drop fees, all recovery fees, premium location fees, corporate location fees wherever applicable.
This quote will not include:
- Insurance (See next paragraph*)
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) can be from $18* to $30* per day plus local taxes and surcharges
- Age surcharge for 21-24 year old drivers, see below. Range from $29.95* -$35* per day plus local taxes and surcharges
- Additional Drivers must meet the same age requirements as the primary driver - Around $10*-$20* per day plus local taxes and surcharges
- GPS from $15.95* per day plus local taxes and surcharges
- Child seats or booster seats (can be purchased after confirmation for generally from $9.00* - $13* per day plus local taxes and surcharges
- Extra kilometers (if your rental has limited kilometers, each additional mile over the limit will be charged at $0.25* - $0.50* for out of area travel).
- Any extras signed up for upon arrival, e.g. vehicle snow equipment, GPS.
- All extras and additional services will attract additional local percentage taxes and surcharges. Prices below are exclusive of these as they vary state to state.
Modifying your booking may change the original quoted price. For details on how to modify your booking please click the 'My Booking' tab above.
* Important information about car rental insurance
For US citizens
- Some US credit cards and personal car insurance policies do provide car rental insurance so please check with your credit card provider and personal auto insurance policy for details.
Visiting the US from another country
- It is illegal to drive in the US without car insurance. Your travel insurance probably only covers the excess so check the fine print in your travel insurance policy.
For more information please see our U.S. car rental insurance guide.
Avis Terms and Conditions or see Avis for further details
- At time of pickup, all drivers must present a valid driver's license in their name.
- If the country of residence on the renter's credentials do not match the country indicated on the reservation, the rental rate will change.
- All drivers must have a safe driving record or Budget reserves the right to deny the rental.
- Non-U.S. and non-Canadian residents are required to present a valid driver's license and a passport from their home country.
- If you have indicated on your reservation that you are a non-U.S. resident, you must also present proof of your return trip back to your resident country or your confirmed reservation rate will change.
- International renters require full open driver's license in English or French or International Driver's license
- Most locations require 2 pieces of Government issued identification from the renter including driver's license. At least one piece of identification must have a picture of the renter.
- International renters must have a valid driver's license and a major credit card.
A valid driver's license is required for all operators of any Avis vehicle. The license must be valid at the time of rental, and remain valid throughout the rental period. All drivers must meet Avis' requirements.
A valid driver's license is:
- A license issued by a Canadian province, territory.
- A license issued by a US state, territory or possession.
- A license issued by a country that is a signatory to the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1943 Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Automobile Traffic.
- A license issued by a country that has a reciprocal agreement with Canada.
International Driver's Permits are valid only if presented with the original local license. An International Driver's Permit it not acceptable by itself. In addition, at the time of rental, the renter, authorized driver or additional driver may be required to sign a declaration attesting to the fact that they have a valid license that is not currently suspended, revoked, expired, cancelled or surrendered.
A temporary driver's license is acceptable only if it has no restrictions and is valid for the entire period of the rental.
Individuals with learner's permits may not operate Avis vehicles.
- Passenger Vans
- Full-size SUVs
- Premium SUVs
Payment - Major Credit Card
Most locations don't accept debit cards. Location rental qualification rules apply. The name on all rental credentials (e.g. license and hold card) must match the name on the reservation.At the time of rental, drivers must present a major credit card and valid full driver's license. Both must be in the driver's name.Avis accepts most major credit cards as credit identification at the time of rental.Accepted credit card list: Avis Charge Card, American Express, AT&T Capital, Diner's Club, Diner's Club Int'l,Discover, GE Capital, JCB, MasterCard, Peterson, Howell and Heather (PHH), Sears and Visa.
Some locations may not accept each of the referenced cards.
Debit cards are not acceptedat Canadian locations as credit identification at the time of rental. However, Canadian and U.S. Debit cards may be use for payment of charges at the conclusion of the rental.
The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the vehicle with the renter's prior permission:
- Renter's employer (while on company business);
- Renter's fellow employee (while on company business);
- Renter's spouse or domestic partner.
The above additional drivers are considered "authorized drivers" and need not be present at the time of rental, nor do they need to sign an additional driver form.
Other individuals may be listed as additional drivers, provided they are at least 25 years of age; present a valid driver's license; present an Avis-honored charge card; and complete an additional driver form, available only at the rental counter. An additional driver fee may apply for each additional driver (see Additional Driver Fees for details and exceptions).
A maximum of two additional drivers can complete an additional driver form for a rental. Additional drivers who can drive the vehicle with the renter's permission (see Exceptions above) are not included in this requirement.
Age Surcharge 21-24
Rather than requiring customers to be 25 to rent, Avis rents to customers between the ages of 21-24. An underage surcharge may apply and will automatically be applied to the reservation.
The undersurcharge rate is around $35* per day.
Additionally, the following restrictions also will apply for renters between the ages of 21-24: Rentals of luxury cars, mini-vans, 12-passenger vans, specialty cars, and SUVs will not be permitted.
Where you can and cannot drive.
Taking a vehicle to another province is generally not a problem. However each pickup location has their own requirements and terms of rental. It is best to inquire about any restrictions or fees that may apply if driving outside the province. There are also special requirements to be able to drive into the U.S.
Alaska and Mexico - Vehicles are not allowed to travel into Alaska. One-way rentals are also not permitted.
Once you have a confirmed booking feel free to contact us by email at email@example.com - we'll call the depot for you! We'll answer your email in one business day.
Child Safety Seats
Whether you're driving across the country or just taking a spin around the block, Avis encourages all passengers to buckle up for safety! Please remember, it's the driver's responsibility to comply with all applicable seat belt and child restraint safety laws.
Which seat is right for you?
Child Weight Child Safety Seat Type
(2-20 lbs or 2.27-9.07 kilos). Child Infant Seat (CIS)
(20-40 lbs or 9.07-18.16 kilos) Child Safety Seat (CSS)
(40-80 lbs or 18.16-36.32 kilos) Child Booster Seats (CBS)
At corporate-owned locations, if your reservation is made 48 hours prior to pick up, Avis guarantee availability of a child safety seat. Within 48 hours of pick up or for licensee-owned locations, your request will be held with your reservation, but the rental is made on a first-come, first-served basis so availability is not guaranteed.
Contact VroomVroomVroom.ca by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting the child seat and advising the age of the child.
Most of Avis vehicles do not come equipped with their own navigation systems. However, you can reserve Garmin where2TM GPS navigation unit at participating locations and is around $12* CAD to $15* CAD per day depending on location.
Avis holds your request with your reservation but cannot guarantee availability until rental pickup.
Road Side Assistance
Avis provides 24-hour roadside assistance. The number for roadside assistance in Canada is 1-800-354-2847.
Attached to each set of Avis car keys is a plastic tag with the toll-free number of Avis Roadside Assistance as well as the car number, car description and license plate number. Please have this important information handy if you need to call for assistance.
Avis offers ski racks on vehicles available at selected locations. Please check with the rental location or feel free to contact us by email at email@example.com - we'll call the depot for you! We'll answer your email in one business day.
Extra Protection - added at the counter.
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
Renters may purchase loss damage waiver (LDW) that reduces the financial liability for loss or damage to the Avis car as long as they comply with the terms of the Avis rental agreement. Cost of LDW will vary by location, car group and rate. If you have rental car coverage through your personal insurance or charge card, LDW offers maximum protection while your personal insurance or charge card may contain a deductible. Rates are from around $18* CAD to $30* CAD per day.
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) provides accidental death benefits and emergency medical expense benefits to the renter and all passengers in the Avis car.
The renter is covered 24 hours a day during the rental for the following:
$175,000.00 accidental death$2,500.00 medical coverage for injuries due to an accident$250.00 for ambulance expenses
The passengers are covered while in the car for the following:
$17,500.00 accidental death
$2,500.00 medical coverage for injuries due to accident$250.00 for ambulance expenses
NEW YORK: The renter is covered 24 hours a day during the rental for the following:
PAI is offered between $4* CAD to $6* CAD per day
Personal Effects Protection (PEP)
Personal Effects Protection insures the personal belongings of the renter and the immediate family members who are traveling with the renter. The maximum coverage is $600.00* per claim, with a maximum coverage for individuals of $1,800.00*. Exceptions:
NEW YORK: Personal Effects Protection insures the personal belongings of the renter and the immediate family members who are traveling with the renter. The maximum coverage is $500.00* per claim, with a maximum coverage for individuals of $1,500.00*.
Additional Liability Insurance (ALI)
Renter may purchase Additional Liability Insurance (ALI) at the time of rental. ALI provides additional protection for bodily injury, death or property damage and increases the limits to $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 combined single limit depending on the location. When ALI is purchased, Avis will always provide the Financial Responsibility Limits (FRL) on a primary basis.
Roadside SafetyNet (RSN)
The Avis Roadside SafetyNet product provides the added reassurance of having roadside service for items that are not normally included in the cost of a rental such as key replacement, fuel delivery, lock out service, jump start assistance or tire change service.
A customer that accepts Roadside SafetyNet can be reassured that all any of these service will be covered at no additional fee should they be needed. For example, if keys are locked in the car, Avis will provide the customer with a locksmith service to regain entry at no additional cost to the customer. In the event the customer has a dead battery, a service provider will be dispatched to assist at no additional cost to the customer.
Roadside SafetyNet Terms & Conditions:
- Taxes not included in the Estimated Total and will be applied at the time of rental.
- Roadside SafetyNet (RSN) service is available at all participating Avis locations in the U.S., Canada , Puerto Rico & U.S. Virgin Islands and New Zealand.
- The daily/weekly fee for the AVIS Roadside SafetyNet Option is subject to change.
- RSN covers the cost for assistance with key replacement lockouts, tire change service fee, jump starts and emergency fuel delivery (up to 3 gallons).
- Prohibited use of the vehicle will void this option.
Feel free to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org we'll contact Avis for you! We'll answer your email in one business day.