Picking Up a Rental Car in Canada
When it comes to picking up your rental car in Canada, there is important information that you should be aware of. To ensure that you are prepared to pick up your car hire, VroomVroomVroom has put together this guide so you can start enjoying your trip and stress less about the pick up process.
Will I need a credit card?
- When you pick up a car in Canada, our suppliers require you to present a credit card in the name of the renter.
- Visa, Mastercard and American Express credit cards are generally accepted at most locations.
- Many car hire depots in Canada do not accept debit cards.
- If you are paying with a debit card, it usually needs to have a Mastercard or Visa logo, and you may be required to leave a higher deposit. In some cases, renters also may require proof of a round-trip ticket.
You can read more about credit and debit card policies here.
Can I add an additional driver?
Policies regarding additional drivers differ per supplier and per location. Generally, additional drivers will need to pay an extra fee, and will need to present their driver's licence at the depot.
- In some cases the renter's spouse or domestic partner is considered an authorized driver, and therefore not subject to the additional driver fee.
- Additional drivers will need to meet the same age requirements as other drivers.
Read more about adding additional driver's here.
What are the required documents?
- Valid drivers licence (in English or French or an International Driver's Licence)
- Passport (non-Canadian and non-U.S. residents)
- 2 pieces of government issued identification
- Major credit card
For more information about driver's licence requirements, click here.
What are the additional charges?
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Loss Damage Waiver (LDW).
- Additional Drivers.
- Extra kilometers (if your car has limited kilometers).
- Any extras signed up for upon arrival e.g. GPS, child seat, snow chains.
Make sure to check the car rentals companies terms and conditions for a full list of additional charges.
For more information on additional charges, click here.
Should I purchase protection products?
When you pick up your vehicle, you may be offered products at the car rental counter to reduce your financial liability for any charges relating to damage or theft of the vehicle. These products include:
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Loss Damage Waiver (LDW): To reduce your financial liability.
- Liability Protection: For damage inflicted on others.
- Personal Accident Insurance: For medical expenses.
- Personal Effect Coverage: For theft or damage to personal property.
Depending on what cover and policy you are looking for, a Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) is recommended for customers traveling to Canada. If you are a Canadian resident, additional car insurance is not required as renters are usually covered by personal insurance policies.
For more information about protection products in Canada, click here.
Do I need to check for damage?
- Ensure that you assess the car for any damage before you drive off in your hire car.
- If any damage is visible that is not included in your vehicle condition report, make sure that you inform the car rental company straight away.
- You can also take photos and document any issues with the car.
How do I add snow cover?
- Snow cover and snow tyres can be requested prior to pickup.
- Most vehicles come with all weather tyres which are snow and mud proof.
- Snow tyres need to be requested and can only be fitted on medium to full size vehicles.
- Prices vary for snow cover so make sure to check with the supplier.
For any information regarding snow cover contact our customer care team.
Why didn't I receive the car model I booked?
- When you rent a car in Canada, you can request a vehicle from a certain group. This means that when you arrive at the depot to pick up your vehicle, you will receive a car that is also classified in the same group.
- You will not necessarily receive the car that is pictured. Our suppliers can also not guarantee specific vehicle colors. Keep in mind that you will most definitely receive a car from the same class and category which will fit your needs.
Have you been offered an upgrade?
- Before you accept any upgrades, make sure there is no charges involved, as upgrade vehicles often come with a per-day cost that will be added on to your final price.
- If you are keeping your vehicle for awhile, these small daily charges can add up. If you're traveling long distances, make sure you ask about the fuel efficiency of the vehicle to make sure you don't end up paying more for fuel.
Before you arrive to pick up your car. . .Before you arrive to pick up your car. . . Make sure you are familiar with the car rental company's policy surrounding the use of credit and debit cards. If you are unsure, you can contact our Customer Care Team and they can determine the specific requirements for your pick-up location.