Can I rent a car without a credit card in Canada?
In Canada, renters will be required to present a credit card in their name. Debit cards are only accepted in limited circumstances. Here is a guide to our suppliers' policies regarding credit and debit cards.
- Alamo: A credit card in the renter's name must be presented at the time of pick up. If a credit card was used to pay for the rental, the same card must be used at the time of pick up. In Alamo's Canadian depots, American Express, MasterCard and Visa are accepted. Debit cards are not accepted at all locations.
- Avis: Avis accepts most major credit cards including American Express, AT&T Capital, Diner's, JCB, Mastercard, Sears and Visa. The credit card must be in the name of the driver. Debit cards are not accepted at Canadian depots.
- Budget: Drivers must present a credit card in the name of the driver. Debit cards are not accepted at many Budget locations, but in cases where is is, an extra authorization may be held.
- Enterprise: A credit card must be presented in the renter's name. American Express, MasterCard and Visa will be accepted at Canadian Enterprise locations. Debit cards must feature the Visa, Mastercard or Discover Card logo.
- Hertz: Credit cards must have available credit. American Express, Mastercard, Diners Club, Discover, JCB, Visa are all accepted. Eligible debit cards must have a Visa or Mastercard logo, and the use of a debit card may be subject to a review of your credit history.
- National: National accepts American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover credit cards, in the name of the renter. If paying with a debit card, you may require proof of a round-trip ticket. The Debit card will need the Visa, Mastercard or Discover logo.
- Thrifty: Renters must present a credit card in their name upon pickup. Prepaid credit cards, debit cards and gift cards will not be accepted in Canada.
Read more about picking up a rental car in Canada.