Vancouver in a Rental Car
Vancouver is one of the top cities to visit in Canada. The city sits on the west coast of British Columbia, and is a great destination to explore with a rental car. VroomVroomVroom can help you find a car rental in Vancouver by comparing deals from suppliers such as Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty.
A quick guide to Vancouver
Popular municipalities in Vancouver include:
- The City of Vancouver: The hub of activity can be found in downtown Vancouver. With hotels, galleries, and museums the city is an exciting destination.
- Richmond: The home of the International Airport and plenty of beautiful waterfront views. The area is a popular fishing destination.
- Burnaby: If it is shopping and entertainment you after, head east to Burnaby. Burnaby is also home to Central Park, which boasts several outdoor recreation activities.
- North Vancouver: With incredible mountain vistas and outdoor adventure activities, North Vancouver is a popular stop on the tourist trail.
- New Westminster: This historic region is home to 19th century buildings, and many museums and galleries along the Fraser River.
Driving tips in Vancouver
- Distances and speed limits are measured in kilometres per hour.
- It is illegal to use your cellphone while driving.
- Drive through blinking green lights with caution as they indicate a pedestrian crossing section.
- Overtake vehicles to the left, and drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- You are required to wear a seatbelt.
- Cyclists are common in Vancouver, so take caution when sharing the road.
- No freeways run through central Vancouver, so journey times will be longer when passing through the city.
- Give way at pedestrian crossings.
- On urban roads, the speed limit is generally 50 kilometres per hour.
Are there toll roads in Vancouver?
There are no designated toll roads in the Vancouver region, but there are two toll bridges. To cross the Port Mann Bridge, commuters will pay $3.15, and $4.45 to travel over the Golden Ears Bridge.
- Vancouver to Whistler: 1h 30min
- Vancouver to Abbotsford: 1h
- Vancouver to Richmond: 25min
Returning your rental car
Make sure you remember to fill up your rental car before you return it to the depot. Here are a few centrally located gas stations:
- Esso - 1205 Burrard St, Vancouver.
- Shell - 1785 Main St, Vancouver.
- Chevron - 1212 E Hastings St, Vancouver.