Guide to Driving Around Hamilton
Located close to Ontario's capital, Toronto, visitors will also find plenty to do in Hamilton. If you are planning on renting a car and exploring Hamilton and its surrounds, here is a quick guide to help you.
A Quick Guide to Hamilton
- Dundas - Located at the bottom of the Niagara Escarpment, Dundas has a vibrant arts community. Dundas Peak offers fantastic views over Hamilton.
- Stoney Creek - Stoney Creek is on Hamilton's waterfront. Visitors can see the Battle of Stoney Creek Monument.
- Mt Hope - Anyone visiting Mt Hope should not miss out on the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. The area is also home to the airport.
- Waterdown - This region on the outskirts of Hamilton is home to many waterfalls. The region also has an interesting history.
Driving Tips in Hamilton
- If you are travelling further in Ontario, particularly in winter, it is a good idea to check the car. Make sure everything is functioning before you leave. Drive to the conditions as there may be snow and ice on the road.
- Traveling to Toronto? It is only a short distance, but traffic can be heavy in and around the city. Check the traffic beforehand to avoid any unnecessary delays. Avoid driving at busy times of the day.
- In Canada, you could face fines unless everyone in the vehicle is wearing a seatbelt.
- Are you visiting during a look weekend such as Labor Day? Expect the roads to be very busy around Hamilton.
- If you are travelling long distances, be sure to take a lot of breaks. Distances between destinations in Canada can be vast.
If you are parking in the streets of central Hamilton, you will need to pay at one of the meters. On weekends and public holidays, parking is generally free. In some cases, you may have to use Pay and Display machines.
You will also find a few public car parks in the center of the city. You need to pay to use these lots, with coins accepted.
Are there toll roads in Hamilton?
There are no toll roads in central Hamilton. However, you may need to access these roads if you are travelling to Mississauga or Toronto. The Express Toll Route (407) runs from Hamilton toward Toronto.
Hamilton to Mississauga - 30mins
Hamilton to Toronto - 50mins
Hamilton to Niagara Falls - 1hr 10mins
Returning Your Rental Car
When you return your rental car in Hamilton, make sure you have returned it with the tank full. Here are a few gas stations in central Hamilton.
Petro Canada: 911 King St E, Hamilton
Costco Gasoline: 100 Legend Ct, Ancaster
PIoneer Energy Gas Station - 610 King St W, Hamilton