Will I Need an International Driving Permit in Canada?
Customers from countries with a licence in a language other than English will be required to present an International Driving Permit (IDP) accompanied by their original driver's licence. Those with driver's licences issued in the United States, New Zealand, the UK, or Australia generally do not need an International Driver's Permit to be able to drive in Canada.
If you have an International Driving Permit, there are still some important things you need to know before you pick up your car:
- Keep in mind that international renters may not rent a vehicle solely with an International Driver's Permit. It is because the IDP serves as a translation only, and is not recognized as a licence nor is it considered valid identification.
- If you want to know what types of driver's licences you do need to rent a car, click here.
- Your licence will also need to meet other requirements such as licence validity, type, date of expiry etc.
- Your permit must be in English.
- You will need to present your driver's licence and International Driver's Permit at the same time to be able to rent a car.
How do I get an International Driving Permit?
If you are a customer travelling to Canada, you cannot be issued an International Driving Permit from Canada. You will need to apply for your permit from your county of residence.
Read more important things to know before you book.